- Prep time:
- 10 min.
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- 10 min.
- 6 Servings
- Ingredients (Paragraphs)
- 1 (16 oz.) jar Whole Pickled Beets
- 1 small red or green bell pepper (chopped)
- 0.5 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 0.25 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 cup prepared hummus with kalamata olives*
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 0.5 lb. provolone cheese, sliced
- 0.5 lb. turkey breast, ham, or roast beef, thinly sliced
To prepare relish, drain beets; reserve 2 tablespoons beet liquid. Coarsely chop beets. Combine beets, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Stir together beet liquid and olive oil. Toss with relish ingredients. Add basil. Cut bread lengthwise in half. Hollow out halves, leaving a 1-inch thick shell. Spread hummus inside shell on each half. Arrange spinach leaves over bottom half, pressing into place. Top with cheese, beet relish and turkey. Close sandwich. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Sandwich can be refrigerated up to 24 hours before serving.
*Substitute plain or other flavored hummus, herbed or plain goat cheese, or spreadable herb-garlic cheese.